What Insurance Is Required For Uber and Rideshare Drivers In Manitoba?

Rideshare insurance is a little different in Manitoba, but it’s not complicated.

Think of it like this:

Basic Autopac Coverage + Vehicle For Hire Coverage = Rideshare Insurance in Manitoba

General Drivers Insurance In Manitoba

This is the insurance you should already have if you are currently driving in Manitoba. It is definitely a requirement if you want to drive with a rideshare company in Manitoba.

This insurance plan is called the Basic Autopac Coverage.

What you are covered for

Manitoba auto insurance covers you in these areas:

  • Personal injury coverage: protects you if you are injured while driving
  • All-perils collision coverage: protects your vehicle in certain scenarios
  • Third-party liability coverage: protects you if you need to cover the cost of someone else’s injuries if they are result of your actions while driving. (up to $200,000 with basic coverage)

Basic Autopac insurance will cover your vehicle for the following scenarios

  • Collision coverage: in case of an accident while driving
  • Roll-Over coverage: in case your car rolls over (upsets)
  • Other coverage: in case of fire, theft, vandalism, or hail

Insurance will cover the actual cash value of your vehicle at the time of incident to a maximum of $50,000. You can purchase additional insurance coverage if you car is worth more than $50,000.

What you are not covered for

Your autopac insurance will not cover you for the following:

  • Normal wear and tear (rust, freezing, corrosion)
  • Dashcams if you have them installed (you should!)
  • Your tires (this counts as wear and tear)

Before insuring your vehicle

If you are not the owner of the vehicle you plan to use for rideshare, you will need written consent from the legal owner. This letter will allow you to register the vehicle in your name for the insurance.

Also, new drivers to Manitoba can qualify for a discount if they meet the proper guidelines, more on that below.

Vehicle For Hire Insurance For Rideshare Drivers

In order to drive for a rideshare company in Manitoba you have to have additional insurance. This insurance is called Vehicle For Hire coverage.

Rideshare insurance coverage is divided into 4 timebands in Manitoba. Some rideshare apps ask that you purchase all 4 timebands, others will let you choose how many you want to purchase.


Mon-Fri, 10am-3pm
Sun-Thurs, 7pm-11pm

The weekday timeband allows you to drive during the day and evenings, but not during rush hour times.

Rush Hour

Mon-Fri, 7am-10am
Mon-Fri, 3pm-7pm

The rush hour timeband allows you to provide rideshare services during rush hour times like the morning and evening commutes.


Mon-Sun, 11pm-7am

The overnight timeband allows drivers to give rides from 11pm to 7am, weekdays and weekends.


Friday, 6pm to Sunday 11pm

The weekend timeband is for drivers who only want to work during the weekend hours.

Insurance For Drivers Who Are New To Manitoba

If you are a driver who just moved to Manitoba you will need to provide insurance history and get a Manitoba drivers license.

Claim History

Your previous insurer will need to provide you with a letter showing your claim history. If you have a good driving history with few claims, you may be eligible for a premium discount.

Manitoba Drivers License

You can continue to use your drivers license from your previous residence for 30 days. After 30 days in Manitoba, you must have a Manitoba drivers license. Plus, if you have a Manitoba license you can qualify for insurance premium discounts.

Certificate of Inspection

You can use a COI from your previous home if it is still valid. Otherwise you must take your vehicle for an inspection before purchasing insurance.

For everything rideshare and commercial driving, follow us at CDHQ!