Kingston offers a great opportunity for rideshare drivers. A budding city with a diverse demographic means a vast market of PAX to feed the rideshare industry.
Check below to see if you meet the requirements to drive for Uber in Kingston!
Service Types and Rates
Tips, Fees, and Payment Methods
Yes PAX have the option to tip in app or in cash
Long Pick Up Fee?
Paid up-front by driver. Must contact Uber customer service to obtain balance of toll.
Frequency of Pay?
Method of Pay?
Commission and Service Fees
*Service Fee collected by Uber, not paid to driver.
- Vehicle model year must be 10 years old or newer
- 4-door vehicle with independently opening doors
- Seat at least 4 passengers in addition to the driver
- Good condition with no cosmetic damage
- No full-sized vans or trucks
- No taxi cabs, government cars, or commercially marked vehicles
- No commercial branding
- No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles
- Pass a vehicle inspection
- 21+ years old
- Ontario G Driver’s License or equivalent
- Proof of work eligibility: Birth certificate, Citizenship card, Passport, Residency card, SIN card, or Work permit
- Vehicle insurance: Insurance must be in your name and name must be legible.
- Proof of vehicle registration
- Clean driving record
- Criminal background check
- Phone Requirements: iPhone 4s or newer, Android 2013 or newer
HST & Taxes
The taxes you will have to pay include CPP (Canadian Pension Plan contributions), EI (Employment Insurance), Federal and Provincial Income tax. You should consult with an accountant who can tell you how much to save from your earnings, especially if you have another job.
HST will also be charged to the customer and passed on to you. That means that you will need keep it to pay the government. You will need to get an HST number from the CRA in order to remit the 13%.
Uber drivers in Ontario are automatically insured through Intact Insurance. Links to policy information can be found here.
Commercial driver insurance is not required, however, you should check with your personal insurance provider to make sure you are covered while operating as a rideshare driver.