Service Types and Rates
Tips, Fees, and Payment Methods
Yes, riders have the option to tip in app or in cash
Long Pick Up Fee?
Yes, after 2 minutes of waiting for the rider you get 30 cents per minute
Frequency of Pay?
Method of Pay?
Commission and Service Fees
*Service Fee collected by Uber, not paid to driver.
- 4-door vehicle with independently opening doors
- Seat at least 4 passengers in addition to the driver
- 10 years or newer
- No full-sized vans or trucks
- No taxi cabs, government cars, or commercially marked vehicles
- No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles
- No commercial branding
- Pass a vehicle inspection. Bring this form with you. Discounted rate of $49.99 at the Canadian Tire located at 2510 50th Avenue.
- Class 1-55 Vehicle Registration.
- 21+ years old
- Class 4 license. You must complete a medical check, knowledge test and road test. Find out more here. Uber will apply a payment of $200 after you’ve completed your 20th trip to cover the cost of getting the Class 4 licence.
- Proof of work eligibility: Birth certificate, Citizenship card, Passport, Residency card, SIN card, or Work permit
- Vehicle insurance: Insurance must be in your name and name must be legible.
- Obtain a three year driver abstract from the Alberta Registry and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. The requirements are:
- Must be obtained within the last 30 days
- Issued within last 30 days
- No major convictions (3+ demerits)
- No more than 2 minor convictions (3 or less demerit points)
- No licence suspensions
- No failure to produce insurance convictions
- Clean Criminal Background Check. Obtain from the RCMP.
- Phone Requirements: iPhone 4s or newer, Android 2013 or newer
The taxes you will have to pay include CPP (Canadian Pension Plan contributions), EI (Employment Insurance), Federal and Provincial Income tax. You should consult with an accountant who can tell you how much to save from your earnings, especially if you have another job.
Uber drivers in Alberta are automatically insured through Intact Insurance. Links to policy information can be found here.
Commercial driver insurance is not required, however, you should check with your personal insurance provider to make sure you are covered while operating as a rideshare driver. Uber recommends getting a rideshare friendly quote through AON Group.