The Uber driver requirements Windsor guide for 2019 is here! We have everything you need to understand how to start driving including the Uber car requirements in Windsor as well for each service type.
Check out the driver and car requirements for Uber Windsor to see if you qualify. You can also find out the rates of pay and try our new Uber calculator.
- Rates and Service Types
- Uber Car Requirements
- Uber Driver Requirements
- HST and Taxes
- Insurance Requirements
- Sign Up Process
- Contact Information
Looking for other rideshare options in your city? Head over to our Choose Your City page to find out what rideshare apps are available. Learn how to get signed up in no time!
Uber Windsor Rates and Service Types
The classic economic sedan service
Wait Time Per Minute:
Tips, Fees, and Payment Methods
Want to get paid faster? Find out more information in our article on Daily Pay, Flex Pay and Instant Pay and how it works from Uber with perks like CAA and Esso Price Privileges
Uber Fees – Commission and Booking Fee
*Booking Fee collected by Uber, not paid to driver. Commission is deducted from driver earnings. Uber commission for Uber Assist drivers is 15%.
Uber Car Requirements Windsor
In addition to meeting the below car requirements for Uber Windsor, your vehicle must be on the accepted car list which you can find here. The requirements for the premium services are more strict than UberX and UberXL.
Vehicle must be no 7 years old or newer
Seat at least 4 passengers in addition to the driver
Good condition with no cosmetic damage
No full-sized vans or trucks
No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles
Snow tires or all-weather tires installed from December 1 until April 30 the following year (Only required for PTC licensed drivers in the City of Windsor and City of Mississauga)
Pass a vehicle inspection by a licensed mechanic.
Don’t meet the Uber car requirements in Windsor? Don’t worry, you can probably still drive for their delivery service UberEats! Click here for the requirements and pay information for UberEats Windsor.
Uber Driver Requirements Windsor
- 21+ years old
- Ontario G Driver’s License or equivalent
- Proof of work eligibility: Birth certificate, Citizenship card, Passport, Residency card, SIM card, or Work permit
- Proof of vehicle registration
- Vehicle insurance: Insurance must be in your name and name must be legible.
- Clean driving record (typically no more than 2 minor infractions in the last 3 years.
- Clean criminal background check
HST & Taxes
As an Uber driver, you are not an employee but are self-employed contracting with Uber. This means that you are responsible for remitting your own taxes and keep track of your expenses, just like an other business owner.
The taxes you will have to pay include CPP (Canadian Pension Plan contributions), Employment Insurance (optional), Federal and Provincial Income tax. You should consult with an accountant who can tell you how much to save from your earnings, especially if you have another job.
HST will also be charged to the customer and passed on to you. That means that you will need keep it to pay the government. You will need to get an HST number from the CRA in order to remit the 13%.
We know this can be a bit confusing when you are starting out. That is why we have developed a three-part tax guide to answer all your questions as well as a primer on the difference between Uber and Lyft when it comes to taxes.
Uber drivers in Windsor are automatically insured through Intact Insurance. Links to policy information can be found here.
Commercial driver insurance is not required for most services except Uber Black and Uber Black SUV. However, you should check with your personal insurance provider to make sure you are covered while operating as a rideshare driver. Most of them will add an endorsement to your policy for a small rate increase.
Now that you are now using your vehicle for business you are obligated to disclose that to your insurer. Failure to do so may result in coverage being denied to you even if you are in an accident and not driving Uber or possible cancellation of your policy.
Have a look at our article on Uber and Lyft insurance in Ontario for more information.
Sign Up Process
- First, head over to the Uber website and create an account. Sign up bonuses or guaranteed earnings promotions are typically available.
- Download the Uber driver app. You will need to upload the following documents: Insurance, Driver’s License, Vehicle Registration and Proof of Work Eligibility.
- Get a vehicle inspection and upload the Safety Standards Certificate by taking a picture.
- After you have uploaded your documents you will need to wait for Uber to conduct their background checks and approve your account. A visit to a Greenlight Hub may be required.
- Once you have been approved, Uber will notify you by e-mail and in the app. Wait for your Uber decal to arrive in the mail.
- When you receive your Uber decal, place it on your the passenger side of your rear windshield. After that simply open the app, tap online and wait for your first trip!
Learn the rules when your picking up and dropping off passengers at the airport to avoid big fines!
Uber support number: 1-800-593-7069
Uber support twitter: @Uber_support
Uber Help Center: Help Center
Windsor doesn’t have a green light hub so if you need to attend the Uber office, you will have to travel to London Greenlight Hub.
London Greenlight Hub
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel – Room: Prince of Wales (3rd Floor)
Date: Tuesday, March 26th,
Thursday, March 28th.
Time: 11am – 4pm
Double check the Uber Green Light Hub hours here.
For everything rideshare and commercial driving, follow us at CDHQ!
FEATURED USER REFERRAL CODE
“Make sure you gas up before you start driving. You will get a bad customer rating if you have to stop for fuel during a trip.”
Doug’s Referral Code